The Galle Film Festival has as its key objectives:
1. Raise awareness of the increasing depth and diversity of Sri Lankan cinema, its contribution to world cinema and showcase that talent side by side with key international film-makers.
2. Stimulate the local industry by facilitating interaction with the world industry and familiarising it with Sri Lanka and its potential as a production location. International productions shooting in Sri Lanka will help develop the industry and talent base while creating jobs and new business opportunities.
3. Through access to world cinema talent attending the festival, workshops, panel discussions etc we will aide the development of talent, skills and resources within Sri Lanka.
4. Expose Sri Lankans to films that are currently winning awards internationally but which are yet to have secured distributors in Sri Lanka.
5. Encourage young people to experiment with film-making.
6. Promoting Galle and Sri Lanka as a tourist destination. Show the media and key tourist audiences that Galle is a prime tourist destination.
7. Promote the power of media to help achieve social change via the Universal Forum.
8. The Universal Forum programme of the festival will assist in educating the public on a range of topical issues.